l literally did not know the difference about muffin and cupcake, the only way I use to define then is cupcake involve lot more butter than muffin. Therefore I consider muffin is a healthier option of cupcake. So when I dig around my kitchen and search for ingredient, I found some frozen cranberry which I bought from Costco while ago and some lemon. At first I plan to use the frozen cranberry to make smoothie but they are so sour, so I left it in the freezer and didn’t touch it again. Why not make a muffin with cranberry? And I also add some Lemon zest to add on some aroma which is better and more natural than any other essence.
At first I did not intend to add the crumble topping but then I feel like something crunchy on top of my muffin. I’m not sure about what other people like, but for me I think the best part of a muffin is the muffin top. You can also use the same crumble recipe to make dessert like apple crumble, also one of my favourite recipe with apple.
Cranberry Lemon Muffin
1 cup plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
1/8 teaspoon salt
75g butter, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 lemon zest
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
¼ cup milk ¾ cup frozen cranberry (or you can use blueberry or raspberry)
40g Plain flour
1 ½ tablespoon sugar
30g butter, chilled
2 tablespoon rolled oat
1) Sift the flour, baking powder and salted together, set aside for later.
2) Pre-heated oven to 190C.
3) Beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest until it become creamy.
4) Add egg and vanilla into butter and beat until combined.
5) Fold in 1/3 flour with the butter.
6) When combined pour ½ of the milk in and gently fold in until well combined. Repeat until you finish all flour and milk.
7) Gently fold in the cranberry with the batter.
8) Divide evenly into 6 muffin cups.
9) Put all crumble ingredients in a bowl and use your finger tip rub them together until it form crumble like.
10) Put the crumble on top of the muffin. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Insert a skewer if come out clear, your muffin is done.
11) Let the muffin cool down at least 10 minutes before served. You can store the muffin in an air tight container after it completely cool down.